Sunday, April 20, 2014

Monday, April 7th - Transferred!

Man oh man, what a week! SO much has happened, and about to change. The biggest thing is that I am being Transferred out of Damariscotta! I had been dreading the night of transfer calls, because I was scared of leaving. I felt like if I left now then I would be leaving so many things unfinished. But on Friday night we got a call form the assistants saying I would be transferred out, and Elder Stallings would stay.  I will admit I was a little frustrated when I first found out I was leaving. In my last area, it was at a point that I felt comfortable leaving and where I felt I had given it most of what I had. But here, I felt like I still had things to do, people to help, and things to follow up on. I was not very happy that I couldn't be a part of those things anymore, and have to start over in a new area, and be the one who knew nothing about the area all over again.

I didn't like feeling like this, and that is why I was so thankful for conference the next day. It took my mind off of it all, and I focused on receiving answers for the many questions I had not pertaining to my transfer. I received an answer to every single question I wrote out! Conference has never failed me in this way. I also asked why I needed to be transferred right now. And I received an answer Sunday Morning, with President Uchtdorf's talk as he talked about being grateful for the situations we are in, even when its tough, and that endings are not our destiny but merely temporary pauses. I was grateful for that assurance and advice. I am going to miss this area so much, but I am now at the point where I AM excited for this new area, and to give it all I have and help a whole new set of people! 

I will not be going down to transfer meeting so that means I will be staying up in Maine. My guesses are Portland, or Sanford Maine. we will be driving up to Augusta to meet at the chapel where a lot of the switches will be happening for the people staying in Maine. But yeah, I will send a letter home the day I get there letting yall know where I am and my address. 

Anyway....before I knew about this transfer we had a great day teaching with Brother Duffy on Tuesday while Elder Stallings was on exchange in Augusta. I had Elder Shupe with me. We got to teach Chrissy and Terry about Prophets and prep them for General Conference and have dinner with them too. We havent been able to see Mark this week though. he was 10 minutes late from being home from church so he was in trouble. Esencially he is bound to the rules that are set by his friend Chris that bailed him out because he does anything out of line, he looses his large amount of money he paid for bail. So he is going to be staying at home all the time because of his lateness on Sunday. Its sad, but understandable because Chris has  a lot of money on the line so he has to be strict with him. 

But we also saw Misty. I explained that she committed to take the structured lessons. So we taught he the restoration. She has heard a lot of it before, but it was different this time. I was with Elder Shupe who hasn't been out too long, so I ended up doing most of the teaching, but the first half of the Restoration lesson wasn't going well, with so many things distracting them. (Dog, kids asking them questions, etc.) But as soon as I had quoted the 1st vision the lesson started to change. Jake their 19 year old son started to listen (which he has before but this time more intently) and the dog was put up. The spirit quickly came to the room as we taught of Joesph Smith's role in the restoration of Christ's church and the Book of Mormon. That's when Brother Duffy bore powerful testimony of the book and how true he knew it to be and that if they desired to know it too that they can get that answer! At that point we explained how that answer will come...(Moroni 10:3-5)...and explained who the Holy Ghost is. It was good because Misty gained a clearer view of how it is we receive answers, which she said she didn't know before. I then bore my testimony about the promise given in those verses...I started to choke up as everyone was already filled by the spirit. I know that promise is real, and that our Heavenly Father will answer our answers through the power of the Holy Ghost! I told them of how I had tried it for myself many times, and every time I gain a stronger and stronger affirmation of its truthfulness! We then committed them to start reading it and to pray about it, and they agreed. I hope this commitment came across different then the others we have given, and that they act on it. Misty also was having a painful time though, because of her carpal tunnel. It was bothering her a lot during the lesson. And Elder Shupe explained afterwards that the priesthood that Christ help was restored in this church, and it was by that priesthood that he healed the sick. And we offered her a blessing as priesthood holders of that priesthood. She accepted and she did believe what we told her. I had the opportunity to be the voice of the blessing...how incredible it was to do that. After we left Elder Shupe said that the things I said, (some of the exact phrasing) was what he was thinking needed to be said while he joined me in the blessing. I know Heavenly Father is aware of her in her need and loves her and what a great experience it was to be able to hear that come straight form Heavenly Father. 

We had another great lesson with Chrissy on Friday. But as I said...we got the calls that night and between our teaching appointments and Conference the next 2 days, we made a few visits to say bye and get a picture! We got to go to the Hovances last night and got a picture with them, which I will attach. I love them so much! I will miss them. Arie (the little one) has gotten so used to me, she is so crazy and happy whenever we are over! She loves pulling our name tags off and playing with them! I have some cute videos of her that I will send home on the SD card once I get the other one back. 

Members of the Branch have said when I said bye, that I have been here so long that I was already a part of their little branch. It made me happy that they felt me fit in so well. I have felt so loved and appreciated here, and am going to miss so many people here. But I know the Lord has other work in store for me somewhere else, and I'm ready for it! 

I can't wait to tell you about all the new people I am about to meet and love! :)

Love you guys! 
-Elder Swalberg





No comments:

Post a Comment